Israel has apologised to the UAE after an official blamed the rise in their country's COVID-19 cases to visitors returning from the UAE.
According to reports by the Walla and Ynet news sites, officials in the Prime Minister’s Office apologised to the UAE and said that comments by their head of the Health Ministry’s public health department were baseless.
Alroy-Preis allegedly said "in two weeks of peace with the UAE more people had died than in 70 years of war”, effectively blaming travel to the UAE for the rise in Israel's cases.
After the resumption of peace between the two countries last year, thousands of Israelis have travelled to the Emirates and last week, Israel opened its embassy in the UAE.
يديعوت احرنوت: إسرائيل تقدم اعتذاراً لدولة الإمارات عن تصريحات لمسؤولة كبيرة في وزارة الصحة الاسرائيلية تضمنت ادعاءات كاذبة ربطت بين السفر لدبي وتزايد اعداد المصابين بكوفيد-19 في اسرائيل.
— Dubai Media Office (@DXBMediaOffice) January 29, 2021


UAE, Saudi Arabia and allies condemn Israeli minister over flotilla detainees
UAE President joins call with Trump, regional leaders to discuss Iran peace deal
UAE delegation concludes participation in GLOBSEC Forum 2026 in Prague
UAE, Qatar discuss regional diplomacy and bilateral ties
UAE aid convoys enter Gaza with more than 930 tonnes of aid