F1 bans bodyguards from the grid after Brundle incident

AFP

Formula One has banned celebrities from bringing bodyguards to the starting grid after an incident with commentator and former racer Martin Brundle at last month's US Grand Prix in Austin.

The 62-year-old Briton, a former team mate of Germany's seven times world champion Michael Schumacher, was doing his pre-race 'grid walk' for Sky television in Austin when he tried to catch a word with rapper Megan Thee Stallion.

After approaching with a microphone to enquire whether she had any rap for F1, and being told she had "no rap today", Brundle asked her who she was supporting. A bodyguard then told him he could not do that.

"I can do that, because I did," replied Brundle, who has interviewed Hollywood A listers and sporting greats over the years, to the delight of many on social media.

A Formula One source confirmed to Reuters that bodyguards would no longer be allowed due to space limitations and COVID-19 restrictions, but celebrities would not be obliged to give interviews.

Brundle told his viewers on Sunday that new rules had been introduced and referred to a 'Brundle Clause'.

He took to Twitter on Tuesday to offer a further clarification.

"For the avoidance of doubt I don’t care who visits the F1 grid, the more the merrier. Talk to me, ignore me, shove, wave, hug, call me names, whatever makes you happy," he said.

"All I ask is that you soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the privilege. I’ve not asked for any grid protocol changes." 

More from Sports News

  • Promoted Hull stun Man Utd, Spurs thrashed

    Hull City marked their return to the Premier League after a nine-year absence with a deserved 2-0 victory over Manchester United while Tottenham Hotspur's lavish summer spending spree could not prevent a 3-0 drubbing at a superb Brentford.

  • Pogacar wins Monaco time trial as Vuelta bid begins in style

    The world's fastest bike rider, UAE Team Emirates-XRG's Tadej Pogacar, dazzled in Monaco by winning the first stage of the 81st Vuelta a Espana on Saturday two months after the roar of Formula 1 cars echoed around the windy streets of the principality.

  • All Blacks stun wasteful Springboks in first test

    New Zealand overcame a tough physical challenge to outscore South Africa five tries to one and win the first test 33-16 at Ellis Park on Saturday to go one-up in the four-match series.

  • Norris puts McLaren on pole at Zandvoort

    Formula One champion Lando Norris beat Mercedes title contenders George Russell and Kimi Antonelli to earn McLaren a third successive Dutch Grand Prix pole position on Saturday.

  • Serena Williams teams up with Alcaraz in US Open mixed doubles

    Serena Williams will make a competitive return to the US Open alongside defending men's champion Carlos Alcaraz in the mixed doubles after the pair were handed a wildcard entry, tournament organisers said on Saturday.

On Virgin Radio today

Hit Music