A World Health Organization official said on Monday that the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran has led to the evacuation of six hospitals but that so far the system appeared to be holding up and authorities have not sought emergency relief from the global health agency.
"The primary healthcare and the health infrastructure of Iran is quite good and robust, and they're able to accommodate the casualties as of now," WHO regional director Hanan Balkhy told Reuters.
Iran's ambassador to the U.N. in Geneva, Ali Bahreini, said on Monday that over 1,300 people have been killed since the February 28 conflict began and more than 7,000 people injured.
The WHO, which has an office in Tehran and helps Iranian authorities with disease management, has verified 18 attacks on health care and the killing of eight medics.
Balkhy said the WHO has contingency plans to move in emergency supplies should the situation deteriorate further.
One risk is that "black rain" caused by leaking toxic compounds from damaged oil facilities adds an additional burden on the healthcare system because of rising respiratory infections, she added.
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has strongly condemned Israel's decision to establish military facilities in one of the UN's compounds in the Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood of East Jerusalem.
Israel's treatment of detained Gaza flotilla activists is "abominable", Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said Wednesday, following the release of a video showing Israeli police forcing activists to kneel on the ground in rows with their hands tied behind their backs.
Two Chinese tankers laden with oil exited the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, shipping data showed, brightening hopes that the US-Israeli conflict with Iran may soon be resolved after positive comments from president Donald Trump and his deputy.
SpaceX aims to reach 10,000 launches annually within five years, but government officials will need to see improved reliability before approving such an expansion, the head of the Federal Aviation Administration said on Wednesday.
Former Cuban President Raul Castro has been indicted in the United States on murder charges, court records showed on Wednesday, in a major escalation in Washington's pressure campaign against the island's communist government.