All US visa applicants will now have to undergo social media screening.
The US State Department regulations said applicants will have to submit social media names and five years' worth of email addresses and phone numbers.
"National security is our top priority when adjudicating visa applications, and every prospective traveller and immigrant to the United States undergoes extensive security screening," it said in a statement.
"We are constantly working to find mechanisms to improve our screening processes to protect US citizens while supporting legitimate travel to the United States."
Certain diplomatic and official visa applicants will be excluded from the screening.
First proposed in March 2018, it's expected to affect about 15 million visitors.
Previously, it was applicable only to those applicants who needed additional vetting.
Bangladeshi lawmakers elected veteran Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir as the country's new president on Thursday, making the longtime opposition figure the head of state after his party came to power in a major political transition.
Russian strikes have killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on Thursday as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said a failure by Ukraine's allies to replenish its stock of air defence missiles was costing lives.
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month, six years after they stepped down from their royal duties and relocated to the US, a source close to the couple said.
South Korea's presidential office has condemned North Korea's launch of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday and ordered its military to maintain full readiness during ongoing joint exercises with the United States.