Search and rescue operations have continued on Tuesday for 10 people still missing after a passenger boat capsized off a southern Philippine province, with the death toll rising to 18, the Philippine Coast Guard said.
Captain Noemie Cayabyab, a spokesperson at the PCG, said the total number of people on board had been revised to 344, down from the earlier figure of 359, after verifying that 15 people listed on the manifest did not board the vessel.
The number of rescued passengers remained at 316, Cayabyab told reporters.
The accident occurred at 1:50 am (1750 GMT) on Monday while the passenger vessel, MV Trisha Kerstin 3, was en route to Jolo in Sulu province after departing from Zamboanga. The PCG said the vessel has an authorised passenger capacity of 352.
The PCG said it was not yet prepared to conclude why the ferry sank, with the investigation still ongoing.
Sea accidents are common in the Philippines, an archipelago of more than 7,000 islands with a patchy maritime safety record.
Russian ballistic missiles killed at least five people and injured over two dozen more in Kyiv early on Thursday, authorities said on the Telegram messaging app, damaging buildings and leaving parts of the Ukrainian capital without power.
South Korea and the United States will cut short annual joint military drills to five days from 11 and scale back some field training, the allies said on Wednesday, after President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in US participation.
At least 100 people were killed when a low-tech artisanal gold mine collapsed in the Central African Republic on Tuesday, a senior official at a local mining association said.
An Israeli airstrike killed nine Palestinians at a police station in Gaza on Wednesday, medics said, two days after US envoy Jared Kushner ended a trip to the region that failed to push forward Donald Trump's plan to end the war in the enclave.