Overloaded boat capsizes in Nigeria, at least 40 bodies recovered

Shutterstock [for illustration]

At least 40 bodies, mostly of children, have been recovered after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria's northwest Sokoto state, local officials and residents said on Thursday.

The accident happened near Gorau in Goronyo local government area and rescue efforts are continuing, said Abdulkadir Yusuf, an area manager at the National Inland Waterways Authority.

Yusuf said around 40 children's bodies had been found, while a lawmaker at the Sokoto state legislature from the area, Nasiru Adamu, said the death toll now stood at 43, with 16 rescued.

One local resident said the boat had been carrying farm owners and labourers hired to harvest rice and that more than 70 people had been onboard when it capsized.

Another resident said there were 57 people on board.

Mustapha Umar, director of relief and rehabilitation at the state's emergency management agency, said officials were heading to the scene and would provide further information later.

Deadly boat accidents are common in Nigeria, where overcrowding, poor maintenance and weak enforcement of safety regulations often contribute to disasters on the country's rivers and waterways.

In January, at least 25 people died when a leaking boat capsized in Yobe state, northeast Nigeria.

More from International News

  • Strong earthquake strikes central Peru

    An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 hit central Peru on Thursday, the United States Geological Survey said, although authorities reported no immediate casualties or damage.

  • Bangladesh elects ruling party veteran Alamgir as president

    Bangladeshi lawmakers elected veteran Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir as the country's new president on Thursday, making the longtime opposition figure the head of state after his party came to power in a major political transition.

  • Russian strikes kill 16 in Ukraine's Kyiv

    Russian strikes have killed 16 people and injured more than 40 in Kyiv and the surrounding region on Thursday as President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said a failure by Ukraine's allies to replenish its stock of air defence missiles was costing lives.

  • Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain

    Prince Harry and his wife Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month, six years after they stepped down from their royal duties and relocated to the US, a source close to the couple said.

  • North Korea launches 10 ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end

    South Korea's presidential office has condemned North Korea's launch of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday and ordered its military to maintain full readiness during ongoing joint exercises with the United States.

On Virgin Radio today

  • Non Stop Hits

    Midnight - 6:00am

    The UAE's #1 Hit Music Station with no interruptions

  • The Kris Fade Show

    6:00am - 10:00am

    Kris, Priti and Rossi host the UAE's biggest radio show. It's full of fun, laughs and it's Where The Stars Live.

Hit Music