Man in custody over alleged links to Nice knife attacker

VALERY HACHE / AFP

A 47-year-old man has been taken into custody on suspicion of having been in contact with the perpetrator of Thursday's deadly knife attack in Nice, a judicial source said.

On Thursday, a knife-wielding attacker beheaded a woman and killed two other people in a church in the French city before being shot by police and taken away.

The source said the 47-year-old suspected of having been in contact with the attacker had been detained late on Thursday evening, confirming an earlier report on BFM TV.

France's chief anti-terrorist prosecutor Jean-Francois Ricard said the man suspected of carrying out the attack was a Tunisian, born in 1999, who had arrived in Europe on September 20 in Lampedusa, the Italian island off Tunisia that is a major landing point for migrants from Africa.

A Tunisian security source and a French police source named the suspected attacker as Brahim Aouissaoui.

Ricard said the suspected attacker had entered the city by train early on Thursday.

More from International News

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio

  • ARN News Centre

    Get the latest UAE and world news from our award winning team of journalists. The ARN News Centre is the country's most trusted source of information.

  • The Kris Fade Show Podcast

    Not in the car so much while Kris, Priti and Rossi are on air? Check out the daily podcast here...

  • Ed Sheeran - UAE EXCLUSIVE

    Latest album, what happened with BTS, raising a baby girl, eye surgery, and more!

  • Jason Derulo on the Kris Fade Show!

    The super-star and multi-award-winning singer-songwriter, Jason Derulo is bringing the heat to Dubai.