At least nine people have been killed and several others injured after Sudanese security forces stormed a protest camp in central Khartoum early Monday.
"The protesters holding a sit-in in front of the army general command are facing a massacre in a treacherous attempt to disperse the protest," said a statement from the main protest group.
Sudan's military has so far made no statements.
The protest outside the military headquarters has been the centre of a campaign to bring a civilian government to power.
Talks between protesters and Sudan's military rulers over the transitional period has ended in a deadlock over who would dominate the top decision-making body.

Pakistan steps up diplomatic bid to get US-Iran peace talks on track
Philippines vows to arrest fugitive senator wanted by ICC
UN condemns Israeli decision to establish military facilities in East Jerusalem
Canada PM Carney says Israel's treatment of Gaza flotilla members is 'abominable'
Tankers exit Hormuz as Trump, Vance talk up Iran deal prospects