The daughter of Philippine leader Rodrigo Duterte filed her candidacy for the vice presidency, the poll body said on Saturday, ending months of speculation about her 2022 election plans.
The Commission on Election (COMELEC) said on its Facebook page the vice-presidential candidate of the Lakas-CMD party withdrew her certificate of candidacy and substituting her was Sara Duterte-Carpio.
A representative filed the substitution papers, the COMELEC said.
A spokesperson for the 43-year-old Duterte-Carpio confirmed the filing and said she would be releasing a statement shortly.
Duterte-Carpio's decision to seek the country's No. 2 job came as a surprise as she has led opinion polls throughout this year as the preferred presidential candidate.
"It was a surprise," Antonio La Vina, professor of law and politics at the Ateneo de Manila University, told Reuters. "Next surprise is VP for whom."
The Constitution bars Duterte-Carpio's 76-year-old father from seeking a second six-year term. He said last month he was retiring from politics.
The Southeast Asian nation of 110 million people holds elections in May 2022 for positions from the president down to governors, mayors and local officials.


Trump announces commitments for Gaza reconstruction at Board of Peace
Police arrest King Charles' brother Andrew over misconduct relating to Epstein
South Korean court hands life term to ex‑President Yoon in insurrection trial
Over 20 countries to attend Trump's Board of Peace meeting on Thursday
Eight skiers found dead after California avalanche